Tuesday, January 24, 2012

First Day of School!

Hello again! This is coming to you from Dominica! It's a pretty small island between Antigua and St. Lucia that is 99% volcanic rock and 1% limestone. It's incredibly mountainous and basically covered entirely in rain forest. I really wish I could upload pictures but we just don't have the internet data speeds to do so. It took us 2 days to travel here from Nassau about 450 nautical miles. Classes started on Saturday and we only had 2 days of it since we are now at our first port. Saturday I had gender and society taught by a professor from Cornell University, it is going to be a really interested class since we discuss all the different countries we visit and how they vary socially and culturally in regards to gender. Sunday I had global studies which is the class that everyone on the boat takes. Our teacher is so goofy and energetic, he must spend hours doing his powerpoint presentations because every slide has crazy transitions and sound effects. Needless to say it keeps things interesting. Next I had conserving endangered wildlife with this british guy who has a sweet accent. The first class all we did was look at pictures of birds and he is some sort of bird aficionado, I'm really hoping we don't just cover birds because that will be very very boring. The last class I had was politics of development. This is probably the class I am most interested in because although we had to buy 8 books, we will we discussing each country in regards to its development. Why and how it has developed the way it has and what it is and can do. Nearly all of the countries we will be visiting are extremely poor so to learn the reason and what can be done is something I want to know.

We arrived in Dominica early this morning at about 6:30. I will be back probably tomorrow to let you know how the first day was!

Even though the ship is docked I still feel like were moving...

-Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment